Research interests – GIS and Remote sensing, Glacier changes in high mountain areas, Ice dynamics of ocean-terminating glaciers, Digital terrain analysis, Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) interferometry.
Professional employment and educational qualifications
Since 04.2017 Postdoctoral researcher at DTU Space, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
08.2013 Visiting researcher at AWI (Polar and Marine Research) Bremerhaven, Germany
12.2012-04.2017 PhD from the Institute of Geography, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
09.2011-05.2012 DAAD IIT Masters Sandwich scholar at Institute of Cartography, TU Dresden, Germany
2010-2012 Master of Technology in Geomatics Engineering from IIT Roorkee, India; CGPA 9.0/10
2008-2010 Lecturer at the Electronics Department of Jaipur Engineering College, India
2004-2008 Bachelor in Electronics & Communication Engineering from University of Rajasthan, India; 70.9/100
Teaching Experience and Thesis Supervision
2008-2010 Signals and Systems in Bachelor of Engineering course in Jaipur Engineering College, India
2015 Introduction to Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in Bachelor of Geography course in FAU Erlangen, Germany
2016 M.Sc thesis of Mr. Stefan Lippl (Automatic delineation of glacier outlines using InSAR coherence)
2016 B.Sc thesis of Mr. Frank Feifer (Identification of landslides and their volume estimation)
Honors, Awards and Achievements
2017 PhD degree awarded with honor “magna cum laude”
2015 Outstanding Student Poster Award, European Geoscience Union (EGU) Assembly
2011 German Student Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship to pursue M.Tech thesis at TU Dresden
2010 MHRD, Government of India Scholarship to pursue M.Tech
Journals Remote Sensing, Remote Sensing of Environment, Climate Change, Frontiers in Earth Sciences
1. Vijay, S. Changes of mountain glaciers on different time scales – a multi-temporal remote-sensing data analysis, Doctoral Thesis, Institute of Geography, University of Erlangen (FAU), Germany, 2017.
2. Vijay, S. and Braun, M. Seasonal and interannual variability of Columbia Glacier, Alaska (2011-2016): ice velocity, mass flux, surface elevation and front position, Special issue “Remote Sensing of Glaciers”, Remote Sensing, 9(6), 635, doi:10.3390/rs9060635, 2017.
3. Khare, S., Ghosh, S.K., Latifi, H., Vijay, S. and Dahms, Thorsten. Seasonal-based analysis of vegetation response to environmental variables in the mountainous forests of Western Himalaya using Landsat 8 data, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 38(15), 4418-4442, doi:10.1080/01431161.2017.1320450, 2017.
4. Vijay, S. and Braun, M. Elevation change rates of glaciers in the Lahaul-Spiti (Western Himalaya, India) during 2000-2012 and 2012-2013, Remote Sensing, 8(12), 1038, doi:10.3390/rs8121038, 2016.
5. Holzer, N., Vijay, S., Yao, T., Xu, B., Buchroithner, M., and Bolch, T. Four decades of glacier variations at Muztag Ata (eastern Pamir): a multi sensor study including Hexagon KH-9 and Pleiades data, Cryosphere, 9, 2071-2088, doi:10.5194/tc-9-2071-2015, 2015.
1. Vijay, S. and Braun, M. Elevation change rates of glaciers in the Lahaul-Spiti (Western Himalaya, India) during 2000-2012 and 2012-2013, PANGAEA, doi:10.1594/PANGAEA.869541, 2016.
2. Vijay, S. and Braun, M. TanDEM-X digital elevation models and surface velocities of Columbia Glacier, Alaska during 2011-2016. PANGAEA, doi: 10.1594/PANGAEA.876219, 2017.
HGF EDA “Remote Sensing and Earth System Dynamics” (2012-2017), Monitoring change of glaciers, ice caps and ice shelves – Co-investigator
DLR/BMWi “TanDEM-ICE” (2014-2016), Glacier monitoring in high Asia using TanDEM-X InSAR and other Earth observation sensors – Co-investigator
Selected conference participations
2017 Radar signal penetration into glaciers and its implications – case studies of two glacierized catchments in Alaska and Himalaya regions, ESA Living Planet Symposium, Helsinki, Finland.
2017 Glacier elevation changes in the Karakoram-Himalaya region derived from TanDEM-X and SRTM digital elevation models, Alpine Glaciology Meeting, ETH Zurich, Switzerland.
2016 Observation of glacier mass changes over Western Himalaya (Himachal Pradesh, India) during 2000-2013 using TanDEM-X and SRTM-C/X DEMs, EGU General Assembly, Vienna., Austria.
2016 The application of interferometric SAR (InSAR) coherence to delineate debris-covered glaciers in the Karakoram, ESA Living Planet Symposium, Prague., Czech Republic.
2015 Seasonal variability of surface velocities, elevation and volume changes of Columbia Glacier, Alaska using high-resolution TanDEM-X satellite time series data. ESA Fringe Workshop 2015, Frascati, Italy.
2013 Glacier dynamics and elevation change measurements in the Karakoram Range and Alaska using TanDEM-X data. ESA Living Planet Symposium, Edinburgh, UK.
Hindi (Mother Tongue), English (Advanced), German (Basic)